Saturday, July 2

How much do you rely on travel review web sites ?

Asking your opinions here. In recent years hotel/travel review websites have become quite the thing, reaching cricital mass last year when TripAdvisor was bought by Interactive Corp (owners of, among other, Expedia & Hotels.com).

I know that when I travel somewhere new, I don't take the word of the hotel websites, I always look for independent reviews, but was just wondering which sites you guys have bookmarked ?

At The Reef, a while ago we took the step of embedding links to both WhereToStay.com and TripAdvisor.com right on our home page, and in fact guests can post reviews to WhereToStay without even leaving our website (don't ask me how it is done, something about embedding code). I've yet to see another resort anywhere follow this step, and was just wondering if you all thought this was useful.

Would appreciate comments on this... thanks !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, I've formed the habit of checking out each and every place I/we plan to stay on www.tripadvisor.com. Of course, you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt, but they're a great source of information. In my opinion, putting those links on your web site was a great idea.

Rod in Louisiana

Anonymous said...

Some review sites seem to be more reliable than others.

You take a chance with these because of the difference between full service hotels and a TS property - expectations get out of whack from time to time.

It certainly keeps the pressure on the resort to ensure that they stay on top of issues :)